Rough Framing - Wall
Rough Framing - Wall
The residential inspection checklist for topout/frame (rough framing for walls) includes:
- Stud size, height and spacing, Table R602.3(5), I.R.C.
- Unless used as a shearwall or braced wall panel or as detailed on City reviewed structural drawings, all wall framing fasteners shall comply with Table R602.3(1), I.R.C.
- 2x double top plates with minimum 24 inch joint offset, section R602.3.2, I.R.C.
- Top plate drilling and notching, section R602.6.1 and Figure R602.6.1, I.R.C.
- Top plate (exterior and/or bearing wall) framing at plumbing wall penetrations require metal tie straps, Figure R602.6.1, I.R.C.
- Three (3) stud corner, Figure R602.3(2), I.R.C.
- Stud notching and bored holes (exterior wall and bearing wall), Figure R602.6(1), I.R.C.
- Stud notching and bored holes (interior nonbearing wall), Figure R602.6(2), I.R.C.
- Fireblocking required, sections R302.11 and R602.8, I.R.C.
- Fireblocking material, section R302.11.1, I.R.C.
- Wall layout in reference to water closet compartment/alcove width: minimum 30 inches (clear), Figure R307.1, I.R.C.
- Wall layout in reference to hallway width: minimum 36 inches (clear), section R311.6, I.R.C.
- Wall layout in reference to stairway width: minimum 36 inches (clear), section R311.7.1, I.R.C.
- If holes or notches are less than 1½ inches from nearest edge of framing member, provide (min. 16 gauge) shield plates to protect piping and service lines, section P2603.2.1, I.R.C. ***Please note: Such plates shall cover the area of the pipe where the member is notched or bored, and shall extend not less than 2 inches above sole plates and below top plates.
- Bearing (2X4) studs at 24 inch spacing must be within five (5) inches of alignment with 24 inch spaced roof framing members above or provide additional plates or solid blocking at plate line, section R602.3.3, I.R.C.
- For "portal frame" design requirements, reference sections R602.10.6.2 and R602.10.6.3, I.R.C.
- For " alternate braced wall panel" design requirements, reference section R602.10.6.1, I.R.C.