The residential inspection checklist for masonry includes:
- Masonry wall thickness per City reviewed drawings and section R606.2, I.R.C.
- The maximum height of a reinforced (grouted) masonry wall and corresponding continuous grout pour is five (5) feet at each inspection unless otherwise approved in advance by the Building Official. If a cleanout (inspection opening) is allowed, it must be free of debris, section R609, I.R.C.
- All required steel reinforcement and grout barriers must be in place, section R609, I.R.C.
- Unreinforced parapet (hollow masonry) wall, section R606.2.4, I.R.C. ***Please note: Unless engineered, the unreinforced parapet wall must be a minimum 8" thick and a height not to exceed three times the wall thickness.
- Masonry wall anchor to floor diaphragm per City reviewed drawings and section R606.9.2.2, I.R.C.
- Mortar for masonry serving as the lateral-force-resisting system shall be Type M,S, or N mortar, section R607.1.2, I.R.C.
- Mortar head and bed joints; 3/8 inch thick, except starting course bed joint (placed over foundation): minimum ¼ inch and not more than ¾ inch, section R607.2.1, I.R.C.
- Mortar joint thickness tolerances: Bed joint (+1/8 inch), Head joint (-1/4 inch, +3/8 inch, Collar joint (-1/4 inch, +3/8 inch), section R607.2.1.1, I.R.C.
- Masonry over openings shall be supported by steel lintels, reinforced concrete or masonry lintels or masonry arches, designed to support load imposed, section R606.10, I.R.C.
- Steel and masonry lintel sizing per City reviewed drawings.
- Minimum bearing for steel lintel per City reviewed drawings.
- Lateral support (either horizontal or vertical direction) per City reviewed drawings and section R606.9, I.R.C.
- Bond beam steel (fully grouted) per City reviewed drawings.
- Masonry wall anchor to roof structure per City reviewed drawings and section R606.9.2.1, I.R.C.
- Masonry wall anchor to floor diaphragm per City revised drawings and section R606.9.2.2, I.R.C.
- Solid grout all support column reinforcement per City reviewed drawings and section R609.4, I.R.C.